Uncategorised

Non material making

I’ve been thinking about this phrase for some time – non material making – what does mean and how can it be useful?.

After graduating [Fine Art Sculpture] in the mid 90s I found supporting a studio and studio practice prohibitively expensive, especially in London. This term facilitated a shift in my own manufacturing strategies and lifted the burden of ‘stuff’ from my way go doing things.

A few years ago I had the opportunity to take team of technical staff on a staff development exercise and we elected to try and demonstrate this notion in a very clear and unmistakable way. We used Rogue Studios, at the time in Bermondsey, and spent 8 hours straight making this in one go. What I like about this work is no-one had any prior experience of the recording studio environment and the sounds generated were all related to the technical teams workshops and personal interests.

https://soundcloud.com/country-frank-1/chelsea-workers-collective-track1

Hope you like it.

4 thoughts on “Non material making

• Anything with French vocals is a winner as far as I’m concerned, Frank.
    And the band name, well …erm … I suppose it’s memorable

Reply
    • Thanks Jeff – that is Isabelle in laser cutting reciting French Poetry – the chanting is Weng [in woodwork] doing exercises.

Reply
    • I really like the idea of this. I used to make installation artwork but I stopped because it just became piles of piles of old furniture that I had to put into storage after I had no space left in my home. I’m trying to take my “practice” (loathe that word) to a more digital level… I always wanted to make work that could be accessed freely and in a way that it would belong to I guess the “real” public and not the art world and the university public.

Reply